Mateusz Konieczny <matkoni...@tutanota.com> wrote:
> I think that it is not a good assumption. One may have a property boundary
> that is partially landuse=residential and partially
> landuse=industrial/farmland

I have mentioned before that the values OSM documents for the landuse key,
while good, are incomplete with the great richness by which the world
recognizes and categorizes these.  Here, Mateusz mentions a "triple" where
residential, industrial and farmland exist together (or perhaps "double" where
the latter two are blended, a certain kind of "single" activity, so when the
residence is added, this makes two distinct landuses in total).

I myself have mentioned what are locally known as "residential / agricultural"
areas, which I characterize as a "live on family farm."  These consist of a
residence (house) and small (one to ten hectares) or medium-to-large (ten
hectares and larger) areas where a wide variety of agriculture either can or
might take place.  Some areas are substantially tree-covered and give rise to
wild mushroom gathering, what I am told is a "fruits of the forest" activity,
not "farmland."  On these (especially in clearings, grassland/meadow areas), I
often find landuse=greenhouse_horticulture, landuse=orchard and
landuse=vineyard areas which "crop up" and appear in imagery.  Because OSM has
specific tags for these, I tag them as I see them.  However, should the
entirety of the underlying area be tagged landuse=farmland or
landuse=residential?  The truth is, "they are both," but OSM hasn't a
landuse=live_on_family_farm_that_gives_rise_to_tree-planting_viticulture_and_hothouses
 tag.

Getting the entirety of the world to agree upon values which seem very highly
locally-dependent and articulated seems difficult.  The alternative is to have
our renderers only approximate the tagging mappers are encouraged to "shoehorn"
into, given these many, often subtle, landuse distinctions.

Another complicating factor is "actual landuse" vs. "potential landuse," (does
take place vs. can or might take place) where some say to "tag only what is
actual."  Others see this approach as a removal of land rights, further
muddying what OSM means by landuse.

These issues truly are complicated, I believe it is easy to agree.

SteveA