Jun 2, 2020, 22:32 by stevea...@softworkers.com:

> On Jun 2, 2020, at 1:25 PM, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> >  should the entirety of the underlying area be tagged landuse=farmland or
>> > landuse=residential?
>>
>> Neither: just tag the areas that are used for residences as
>> landuse=residential, and the area used for farming (mostly crops) as
>> landuse=farmland.
>>

> I can certainly appreciate how this is an easy suggestion from the author of
> a renderer, but it diminishes from our map the extent of property rights of
> the owner of the residence / farmland.

OSM is not a place to map property rights.

And landuse=residential is certainly not a tool for mapping boundaries of owned
areas or
property right boundaries.

> In OpenStreetMap we want to map what is actually there, not the zoning or
> legal landuse or property boundaries.
>
> What is actually there are property rights, which is what I take as the
> meaning of "landuse=residential."

landuse=residential is an area of land dedicated to, or having predominantly
residential buildings

such as houses or apartment buildings.

In many cases (properties for solely residential use) it coincides with areas
owned by people
owning a house.

But it is not always true, if you have a property with forest/farmland - then
part of your property will be
landuse=residential and part of it will be landuse=farmland (or =forest or
=industrial or =construction
or something else in other cases).

In some cases, especially with tree-covered areas part of area may be covered
by two such areas.