Hi!

Russ Nelson schrieb:
 > On Mar 4, 2009, at 5:14 PM, Nop wrote:
 >>
 >> And I never heard of it until now. And wasn't in OSM when it was posted.
 >
 > Fair enough, but any time you join a group there will be efforts
 > underway which you haven't contributed to, not know about, nor had any
 > effect on.  I guess that given the growth in OSM users perhaps we should
 > convince the OSMF to write a weekly "Welcome to OSM; here's what's going
 > on" message.

Yes. At least when you expect 100000 people to go along and the issue
has the potential to break OSM apart, it would not be a bad idea to send
monthly information about the state of things.

But my point is that you would have needed to actively inform people. It
is plain silly to blame them for not getting involved when you simply
did not give them any real chance to do so.

Originally you would only have had to convince the hardliners holding
fast to the old licence.
Now you will have to fight the rumours and half-informed opinions
circling around the community and win back those who feel overrun and
pressed by the time frame, those who feel angry about the blundering or
brazen way this has been handled, those who feel disoriented and afraid
their work might be taken away or destroyed and eventually those who
suspect you to serve some obscure self-interest.

And now that you hopefully get an idea of how many people actually want
to get involved, you need to give them the time to do so. How many
people do you think are involved by now on the mailing lists? 0.1% of
the community? 0.2%?

 >> But I guess it's
 >> their own fault if 50000 people fail to scan blogs at a different site
 >> for half-year old entries. Not worth a notification or a prominent hint
 >> in the wiki.
 >
 > Click "BLOG" on http://openstreetmap.org/

"Hardware Upgrade Appeal: Thank you"

So what? I guess nobody digs back 9-14 months there.

bye
        Nop