On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:36:43AM +0100, James Stewart wrote:
> There are lots of paths that are primarily footpaths, but bikes can go
> on them. I think that cycleway is best kept for paths that are
> designed and designated for bicycles.

Sure.

> For example in our local park bikes can go on all the paths, but there
> are some specific divided cycle paths too. (We are in Scotland so
> bikes can legally go anywhere that pedestrians can go, more or less)

So such foot path rendered as a foot path only is not a problem for you,
as you know that means bicycles  may go there.

In Poland generally bicycles are forbidden on ways for pedestrians, with
many exceptions (if you go with a child, if other way is too far, if it
is a sidewalk of a street where cars may go over specific speed…). And
pedestrians are welcome on designated cycle-only ways. But many cycle
ways are designated for both bicycles and pedestrians. So there is
difference between highway=footway, highway=footway,bicycle=yes,
highway=cycleway and highway=cycleway,foot=yes and it would be really
good if all those could be distinguished, at least on a cycle map. And I
agree that marking a footway a bicycleway only because bicycles my go
there is kind of abuse and tagging for renderers (which have the data in
other tags anyway).

Greets,
        Jacek