On Thursday 30 April 2009, Andy Allan wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Richard Mann
>
> <richard.mann.westoxf...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I'd support that highway=path needs to be rendered in the cycle map
> > layer, especially now it's becoming clearer how it's being used
>
> Every time it gets discussed, it becomes *less* clear how it's being
> used to me. And I'm mightily concerned that the 10 people discussing
> it on these lists might be in no way representative of the 14,990
> people who are mapping paths and aren't in these discussions.

I've done a completely 180 turn on using cycleway/footway/path since the
introduction of path. I used to tag any path where cyclists are allowed
as cycleway (whether it was actually suitable or not didn't really
matter). And bridleway was completely unused by me (in the end if
horses would be allowed I'd tag them as cycleway as well if cyclists
were allowed).

Although it was a pretty consistent way tagging, it could well confuse
people looking at the maps. So now I basically use highway=path
everywhere, and add the restrictions as signed on it (vehicle=no,
horse=no, bicycle=no, etc). Given the specific legal meaning of a word
like "cycleway" I only tag those as such when the paths have a blue
round sign with a bicycle/pedestrian/horse (so when they're legally
defined as cycleway/footway/bridleway). Because a path where no
vehicles are allowed except bicycles is just not a "cycleway" (which
also implies different traffic rules).

Ben