Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> I'm opposing this approach of just tagging different lanes to one way
> as this gets too complicated in complex situations (I know situations
> with more than 18 "lanes"). I'd prefer to get to a
> map-all-lanes-and-dividers-as-separate-ways-approach and then
> recombine them with a relation

Which is too complicated in simple situations. Maybe "one approach fits
all" just doesn't work.

Honestly, I don't think any solution that /requires/ lanes to be mapped
as ways can be successful, it will cause significant additional work
when it comes to junctions, to moving ways and other editing operations.
Neither do I think mappers should be required to use relations for
simple cases.

To me, the most sensible solution would be one that allows
representation by a single way with the highway tags and several tags
referring to individual lanes (in a way that doesn't even require you to
add all lanes - you might only be interested in adding some detail to
that cycle lane, for example). At the same time, the solution might
offer the /option/ to split lanes off the collective highway (i.e. map
them as own ways) and link them to the highway using a single relation
as well.

I believe it fits the project's general spirit to allow mappers to
choose their level of detail (and other mappers to increase it if they
are ready to invest the time). Lod steps could be described as

1. road without lane detail
2. road with partial lane data (think cycleway=lane)
3. road with full lane data, but no lane geometry
4. road with full lane data and partial lane geometry (e.g. individual
ways only for pavements and bicycle lane, but not for the perfectly
parallel car lanes)
5. road with full lane data and geometry

Allowing only separate ways would take away the choices #3 and #4 and
limit #2 to the sort of tags we already use (i.e. no proper ordering, no
sub-tags for lanes).

Tobias Knerr