On 29/09/09 11:24, Frankie Roberto wrote:

>     A more direct way to do it *now* is to suggest specific improvements
>     by filing bugs on http://trac.openstreetmap.org under the website
>     component.
>
> Okay, will do. I'm always a bit shy about submitting improvement ideas
> as bugs (as it feels like asking someone else to do the work, rather
> than offering to help), but I guess it helps to keep it all in one place.

Thank you for your reticence! As the person that receives them all the
tickets in question I have much the same feeling, that is just asking
for somebody else to do something.

> Linking the tags to the wiki is going to be a great way of joining the
> two things together much more closely.  The other thing I'd like to see
> is being able to browse sideways from the 'browse' pages, so that it's
> possible to navigate from, say, a pub, through to other pubs nearby.
> But I guess this requires some more XAPI-like functionality to be added
> to the main server?

The wiki's full of shit though, so do we really want to encourage people
to believe all the stuff that is there...

> * removing the forward/back links to the way numbered one above and one
> below (as these are essentially just random links)

Not an unreasonable point.

> * displaying the address in a more address-like style, perhaps also
> marked up with the hCard microformat.

I'm not at all sure that we should start getting "clever" about how we
display specific tags - to my mind we are about the data and we should
be tag agnostic and just display the raw data and let the reader draw
conclusions from it.

Doing "clever stuff" with our data is primarily something for other
people to do, not for us to do.

> * showing the date that the node/way/relation was first created (rather
> than just date of the last changeset).

Certainly possible but I'm not sure how much value it has.

> * making wikipedia=* and website=* links more prominent, possibly with
> icons.

I think this comes under "clever" rendering again.

> * removing the created_by=* tag and displaying that less prominently,
> perhaps with a link to the Potlatch/JOSM/etc pages on the wiki.

This is more borderline and I can see some point to it.

> * adding some stats like "total length" (for open ways) or "area size"
> (for closed ways).

Relatively expensive for us to compute though so we would need to be a
bit careful with larger/more complicated objects.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/