On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Russ Nelson <nel...@crynwr.com> wrote:
> Dave Stubbs writes:
>  > I was convinced otherwise by some very persuasive arguments and now
>  > think it's completely not worth doing and not at all important.
>
> I'm not convinced.  Could you share them?

a) what are you actually marking?
 - no name in OSM -- we know that already
 - the mapper didn't find a name -- so we shouldn't check again?
 - the road definitely hasn't got a name -- it definitely hasn't got a
swimming pool in the middle of it either, but I'm not putting
swimming_pool=no
 - you don't want validators checking this

b) what are you actually trying to achieve?
 - mappers don't go looking for unnamed streets that definitely have
no name -- well, whatever, they can put the post boxes and address
data in while they're there. If a street has a post box, addresses,
all the shops, amenities and power cables then I'm sure eventually the
next mapper will realise what's going on. plus you can add a note tag
if you want.
 - a nice orange free map -- go look at the normal layer then
 - an "error" free map -- well, despite what the validator tells you,
road without name is not actually an error, just potentially unlikely
in western europe at least.

c) what does it actually tell you if not present?
 - the road has a name, but we don't know what it is
 - we don't know if the road has a name or not
 - the user who mapped it doesn't care for no names tags
 - hasn't been mapped

d) does it help the original point of the no names map?
 - no, not really -- the no names map was primarily invented to act as
a metric of mappedness for areas that had been thoroughly traced from
Yahoo imagery. Blocks of orange still stand out, and as most streets
in London are named, that's not distracting from the task. That might
not be true everywhere, but I'm guessing it's true most places that no
names maps are useful metrics at all.

So in summary, the arguments against are that you don't know what
you're trying to mark, you don't really have a good reason, and it
doesn't tell you very much. YMMV obviously and there are other
opinions out there.

Dave