On 06/10/09 15:18, Dave Stubbs wrote:
> a) what are you actually marking?
>   - no name in OSM -- we know that already
>   - the mapper didn't find a name -- so we shouldn't check again?

Probably not, no. Just as when a mapper adds a postbox, someone else
doesn't think "he's added a postbox. I should go and check that there's
actually a postbox there". I agree that in this case you are noting a
negative, not a positive, and that's more unusual. But I think the same
principle applies. You trust other mappers to map sanely unless there's
evidence to the contrary.

>   - the road definitely hasn't got a name -- it definitely hasn't got a
> swimming pool in the middle of it either, but I'm not putting
> swimming_pool=no

Right. But most roads have names, and names are useful for navigation.
Names being missing when they shouldn't be is therefore bad.

The "swimming pool" point is a slippery slope argument, but in fact the
slope isn't at all slippery. Names are different to swimming pools.
AFAIK, no-one has genuinely suggested swimming_pool=no, or in fact any
other =no type thing apart from names.

>   - mappers don't go looking for unnamed streets that definitely have
> no name -- well, whatever, they can put the post boxes and address
> data in while they're there.

Except that many people like to map with a method that gets the map to a
base level of usefulness (say, all roads present and correctly named)
across an area first, and then add details later.

> c) what does it actually tell you if not present?
>   - the road has a name, but we don't know what it is
 >   - we don't know if the road has a name or not
 >   - hasn't been mapped

(These three are basically the same.)

Yes - so go look, and add it, or add the noname tag.

>   - the user who mapped it doesn't care for no names tags

That may also be true, but hopefully someone will put one in, and stop
lots of mappers visiting it to "complete" (to a certain level of detail)
the map in that area.

What I don't get is why people opposed to marking noname roads as noname
actually mind. What offends you about tags you don't care about?

Gerv