From: andrzej zaborowski [mailto:balr...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:33 PM
To: David G. Smith PE PLS
Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] JOSM WMS plugin -> Capabilities / Layers

2010/1/21 David G. Smith PE PLS <dsm...@synergist-tech.com>
> In editing OSM, I have mainly been working with Merkaartor of late,
> which has good support for WMS – in switching over and looking at JOSM
> again, I was working with the WMS plugin and one thing I note there is
> that it does not appear to have functionality for querying a server’s
> capabilities (getCapabilities request) and then presenting the user
> with a list of supported layers, SRS and so on – that functionality
> would go quite far toward simplifying and facilitating connecting to
> WMS services for users, as opposed to having to manually construct URL
> strings and try to guess at what is going wrong when trying to access
> new services…    Is anyone currently working on that functionality?  If so,
> how can others contribute to the effort?

A patch to to support getCapabilities was iirc submitted to the josm-dev
mailing list once but I don't remember what happened with it.
 The only ticket I find now is

http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/3915

which seems unrelated, but the archives of the mailing list should have it.  I
don't think it had a dialog to let you choose something but it might be a step
if you want to implement the rest.

Cheers,