It looks like the TomTom will not be difficult to write code for. TomTom themselves recognise that they have used OpenSource code to develop it, and provide the open source bits of the software (linux kernels, libraries, and compiler) (http://www.tomtom.com/page.php?Page=gpl). It looks quite easy to get a program running on it - the main problem for me will be graphics - without looking at the kernel sources it is not obvious how they have coded it - no SDL or GTK libraries listed etc - they might be writing directly to the framebuffer with their own code.

I'll have a look sometime, but if anyone with experience of graphics on embedded systems fancies a look, I would appreciate some pointers on how to get it drawing on the screen!

Graham.

On Apr 8, 2010 5:49am, Marcus Wolschon <marcus.wolsc...@googlemail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:33 AM, John Smith deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Most hardware hackers just require a new toy to start off, so perhaps

> step one would be to get a donation of hardware and/or raise the funds

> needed to purchase one.

It´s the same TomTom-software they use on smartphones.

No special hardware needed to develop for it.

AND thes have an SDK.

MArcus