On 9 April 2010 02:50, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <ava...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sure there's someone on-list with access to a few hundred million
> dollars and access to large electronics manufacturing capability
> coupled with a global distribution network.

Considering most electronics of this type area now modular, and there
is plenty of cheap electronics manufacturers in Asia, most of whom
would have distribution networks already, the bigger problem I think
would be the actual satnav software, because to date I haven't seen
any free software that would be good enough for most consumers.

> Alternatively we could just continue to produce a free map which
> people can install on devices that either aren't completely closed
> down or have existing workarounds. Garmin, iPhone, Anderoid and others
> come to mind.

Garmin sure, the others usually have screens that are too small to be as useful.