Andrzej,

You kind of have a point there with addresses and all; assume you'd just
produce your very own database of house numbers built by your users, then
release that, say, as PD or CC0. It would only be days until someone in OSM
came along and proposed to import your database into OSM, which would
effectively end up the same (all data being contributed under one user id).

But in that scenario, the importing user would take full responsibility, and
if it turned out that a significant portion of the import was in some way
faulty, the whole import would be rolled back.

That's possibly the worst way to handle it

I was just using that as an example which would lead to all data being under the same account, and in a way that nobody on OSM's side would complain. I wasn't suggesting they actually do that.

Note that nearmap.com is taking it pretty seriously about taking
responsibility.

I was trying to explain that this responsibility might mean that OSM takes measures - such as reverting all contributions - against a particular user, even if that one user happens to be a concentration point for contributions of many human beings.

Also note that they mentioned in another thread that
they want to contribute under share-alike licenses (including ODbL) so
that they can use improvements made to data that they release or that
is based on the imagery.  The repeated asking for releasing as PD is
amounting to trolling.

As I said above, that was just a theoretical situation in which someone else's data would be concentrated under one account. I said "PD or CC0" in the example as a placeholder for "a license that is guaranteed to be compatible with anything OSM uses at the time".

Bye
Frederik