Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 8:33 AM, davespod <osmli...@dellams.fastmail.fm>
> wrote:
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners_Guide_1.1
> >
> > See item 3.*
>
> Very interesting. That line was added by "Ben" in January 2009, and
> that sentence hasn't been touched since.

Bah! You're right! I'm sure I read this in one of the very first wiki pages
I read, but obviously not this one. I have certainly been aware of the
principle since the outset, and I got all my early information from the wiki
(I did not read the mailing lists for several months, and good thing too - I
would probably have been scared off!).

By the way, I don't think the intention is to suggest that it is not ok to
trace an area and then visit it to correct errors and add detail. It is when
you are not going to do that, it is frowned upon. I can understand why. I
have cancelled a trip to survey some lonely country lanes after someone else
remotely traced them. Had I gone, the map would have gained POIs instead of
just a line. But it scarcely seemed worth the trip for what might have been
a couple of postboxes and pub, without having the satisfaction of mapping
the roads, too, especially when there is so much else left to map. But maybe
I'm being silly.

Good luck with trying to reach a consensus. It's a while since I saw one of
those on these lists :)

Cheers

David