Richard Mann wrote:

> I wouldn't recommend remote tracing, but if you do it with due care,
> or maybe to supplement stuff you have surveyed (or maybe even just
> seen out of the window when passing),

I completely agree that supplementing stuff you have surveyed or even
tracing something you have passed is absolutely fine, and I have done both.
I have traced woods where I recall walking as a child but where could not
possibly say I know where the exact boundaries are from a ground survey. I
think common sense needs to apply.

> then it probably doesn't
> irritate genuine local mappers much more than whizzing about with a
> GPS on a bike and thinking you know everything.

I will try not to take that personally. Particularly, as the area I was
referring to was a local one by my rural standards. I also agree that
dedicated local mappers who travel along a road or footpath regularly would
be the most desirable in terms of map quality, but the odds of getting one
of those in every hamlet in Shropshire are pretty small. There has to be a
balance.

David