On 08/12/2010 12:50, Steve Bennett wrote:
I should apologise here for picking on two innocent individuals. I was
trying to offer a criticism of the culture of the mailing lists and
the project as a whole, and a suggestion to look at moving to a more
scalable model, where policies get agreed, then written down.
On this particular point, I think some of the resistance to having "Policies" of this nature is that where you have Laws, you get Lawyers whose job it is to find ways of breaking the spirit of those policies without breaking the letter of the (or equally *apply* the letter of those policies while breaking the spirit). Wikipedia hasn't managed to avoid problems by having policies, and I don't think we'd have a much easier time if we started writing things in stone.

Discussion and consensus (and maybe even sanctions against those who refuse to act according to that consensus) are more important than hard-and-fast rules.

Jonathan