Worst Fixer <worstfi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>It means that we must revert things like TIGER and CanVec. Am I right?

I think fundamentally you are right with this point. My impression is
that many people at OSM regret these imports - in fact the longer they
are involved in the project. The problem is that today you cannot
isolate them from the other edits because the users improved the tags
and dragged the objects to the correct position instead of making them
new. "Reverting" is simply not possible any more. The only way to
remove the imports was to clear the maps completely. But this would
produce another community impact of course.

I think I was one of the early refusers of big imports that can be
derived from the reality by users as well. (This is impossible for
non-physical objects like borders.) I imagine Wikipedia would have
been imported so far and the user were damned to correct it and only
add bits and bobs. I am pretty sure it never ever would have had that
success it had.

IMHO the community impact of imports should be described in extenso
before any technical stuff is mentioned. And yes - it should be
mentioned that TIGER and its friends were early mistakes of OSM.