On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Phil! Gold <phi...@pobox.com> wrote:

> I can only speak for myself, but I'm happy that TIGER was imported.  I
> grumble about its quality problems and quirks all the time, usually while
> I'm fixing them, but I think the US is much better off with that import
> than it would have been without it.  I've only been here for a couple of
> years, so maybe I haven't been around long enough to regret it, but I
> probably wouldn't have gotten started with OSM if the TIGER-imported
> framework hadn't already made it reasonably useful to start with.
>
> I've only been involved with OSM for a short while, but I believe that
imports do help.  I have fixed some of the bad TIGER imports but without
them much of the US wouldn't be mapped.  My cousin moved to a new house
north of Minneapolis.  When I looked on OSM to see where she lived, there
are no streets.  Yet Bing imagery shows all of the streets.  It is an
indication that more mappers are needed.  But until then, imports fill that
gap.

Import guidelines are good. Guides can help minimize errors up front but
there should also be contingency plans when an import doesn't go well.  The
Import Guidelines have plenty to say about having the community review the
scope and process of the import.  To me, more is needed on the process of
converting data into suitable imports.  What is there is good, for example,
cleaning up excess nodes and removing extraneous tags.  Unfortunately I
don't have enough knowledge to write that, but I suspect others do.

Clifford