Robin Paulson wrote:
2(e) use the Products in a manner that gives you or any other person access
to mass downloads or bulk feeds of any Content, including but not limited to
numerical latitude or longitude coordinates, imagery, and visible map data;

so checking the odd street names is OK.. but every street name I would
suggest would represent a bulk feed."

let's say there are 100,000 people involved in OSM. each copies one name from
google (so, not in her/his eyes a mass download). the OSM database then contains
100,000 pieces of data which are sourced from google. this then does constitute
a mass access of data, and is definitely outside their terms and conditions.

how do you know everyone else is not thinking the same thing as you, and
"checking the odd street names"?

and by the way, whoever it was using the phrase "memory aid" does not change
what is happening. it is copying data whatever linguistic gymnastics you go
through to try and justify it, and is thus not ok. as someone else said, you
want the data, go collect it.

Sorry, but in this case how the **** would they know if someone had cross checked something against Streetview? There is NO need to make any mention of that and yes I do cross check, but MORE simply to confirm that Streetview even has it visible. Around here coverage from Streetview is not complete and some smaller roads have no coverage, so having looked is THAT now a problem? I also check business address data against bing/google/yell - it's not their property as they have copied it from other peoples sites anyway?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL