What a great addition to the growing new tools/features to the OSM homepage.
Fantastic work. In fact I am using the beta as my main map now.

A couple of things.

A)I having problems when selecting any (large) area.
For example a stadium, park, shopping centre, hospital, school, etc where
they are amenity, etc as an area.

It often selects the smaller POIs inside/on top of the area but not the
actual area itself (so returning individual buildings, shops, streams,
playgrounds, etc). Often it will display nothing. Occasionally it will get a
hit the overall area but not very often and there seems to be no logic to
it.

Is that because I am not hitting the actual nodes? Or maybe you are not
covering areas properly?

Even if I search in OSM for e.g. the shopping centre and it places the
pointer right in the middle of the area it often will not find anything.

Technically it is likely more difficult to get catch areas rather than nodes
but logically for the users you want to catch the areas. I imagine relations
as multiple ways of areas is even more complex to get a confirmed "hit" but
initially I am just talking about polygon areas

B) wikipedia links. It has been said already but even then there is some
confusion. The recommended way for tagging wikipedia links is to use
wikipedia=language:page title and not wikipedia=http://en.wikipedia.com/blah

Here is our wiki page about wikipedia tagging -
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:wikipedia

As we have a lot of wikipedia links now it would be great to link directly
to the real pages.

e.g. Tag
wikipedia=en:St Paul's Cathedral
would resolve to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Paul%27s_Cathedral
But you will have to go some regex/Encoding to get this correct.

Anyway sorry if that sounded negative it is just to give feedback and not
headaches, keep up the good work.