Clifford Snow wrote
> Frederik,
> I want to make sure we are clear. Are you signaling your belief that we
> need some strategic planning?

Well, what does strategic planning even mean in the context of OSMF?

OSMF currently operates under the strategy of keeping its influence pretty
much as minimal as somehow possible. It mostly limits it self to operating
the servers for the editing api and publishing a weekly planet dump.
Everything else is kind of outside of the scope of the OSMF and to be
provided by third parties. This strategy is implemented to such a degree
that e.g. not even planet extracts to make the unwieldy monolithic planet
file usable  are provided by OSMF but by third parties. It operates under
the strategy that anything that can conceivably be provided by third parties
should.

OSMF does not e.g. fund software development, it does very limited to no
funding of outreach or PR, it does not provide any (or very limited) client
applications / services. State of the Map is probably the only major
exception to this rule and people have proposed to move that out of the
scope of OSMF too, as has successfully been done with organizing the
regional "State of the Map" conferences. All of that can be (and is) done
without the involvement of the OSMF.

For example funded Software development has been done by companies like
CloudMade, MapQuest on a company budget, or Mapbox that applied for external
funding through the Knight foundation to develop OpenStreetMap software like
e.g. the iD editor.

Developer resources like Toolservers have for example been provided by third
parties like the "German Chapter", "US Chapter" or the "French Chapter", or
Wikimedia through the OSM toolserver, or through Rambler or probably a
number of others I have forgotten.

PR resources have been provided to the community by yet more third party
sources, like e.g. some of the offers of Geofabrik to print PR materials to
use in various ways like e.g. to man booths on trade shows.

Outreach has been done by yet more third parties like e.g. H.O.T. or like
the community ambassador programs of CloudMade.

So again the strategy of OSMF has been to not "pick winners or loosers" to
use a political term but let the community a free hand in anything that
isn't absolutely necessary to centralize, which covers the servers necessary
for the editing API, protecting the core data in the database and legal
issues like the license, copy right violations and trandemark issues).

Personally I am not the biggest fan of this rather libertarian approach, but
it is a perfectly valid strategy for OSMF to take and which approach would
ultimately lead to more success for OSM is pretty much impossible to
factually determine and is thus left to personal opinion and controversial
political debate.

Under this premises what would strategic planning for the OSMF look like?
Well, it would pretty much be an extremely technical discussion about the
scalability of the server hardware. Although that might be a fascinating
topic for some, I doubt that is what is meant by strategic planning in this
debate and I don't really see any issues with that at the moment.

In that light, one can also see the success and failure of the previous
attempts of the SWG. As Richard pointed out, one of the "successes" of the
SWG was to establish a policy of inclusion of third party tiles in the layer
chooser. Although I think it was an important achievement, and as a member
of the SWG at the time helped formulate it, I wouldn't directly call that
"strategic planning". Most other topics successfully handled were also
pretty "short sighted" technical aspects if I remember correctly. But that
is at least partly because there simply isn't any scope for strategic
planning in the current model of the OSMF.

So anyone who wants to do any "strategic planning" must first of all
massively expand the resources, scope and responsibilities of OSMF. However,
given that OSMF already even with its extremely limited scope of
responsibilities suffers under a massive trust issues where far too many
active members of the OSM community seem to find a huge conspiracy theory in
each action OSMF takes, I don't see how a big expansion of responsibilities
of the OSMF would be accepted by the community without hugely costly and
probably damaging political fights.

The alternative is to do these "strategic planes" outside of the OSMF, e.g.
in one of the local chapters or topic specific groups like H.O.T. Nothing
stops them from devising great and strategically thought out PR campaigns.
No one stops them from providing valuable resources that have been
identified as strategically important for the growth of OSM. No one stops
them from fund raising to support those activities (although there are some
possibly unresolved issues with the use of the OpenStreetMap trademark in
those PR and fund raising activities). No one stops them from developing
those killer application that will make everyone want to use and contribute
to OSM. It is just that OSMF might not be the body through which to achieve
those goals and that planning.

Indeed, there have been brief ideas thrown out to found a new organisation
e.g. "OpenStreetMap EndUser Foundation" to support all of the end user
activity that is so important to give users an incentive to contribute to
OSM as it gives them real value back for their effort. I think ideas like
that where discussed in the SWG, but I might remember incorrectly and it was
just tossed around in the "normal" discussion channels like the talk list
(it has been a while since I last looked through the SWG minutes).

So overall, the first question to answer is do we really want to do this in
the scope of the OSMF or are there other organisations who are better suited
for such activity? Does the OSMF have the support of the community for such
a "power grab" or are the trust issues it suffers with a non insignificant
number of active members too big to over come for such an expansion?

OSM has always been a "do-ocracy" and the current libertarian model of OSMF
does fit that quite well with all its benefits (anyone with the skills and
resources and a brilliant idea can just do it and is not held back by a
comity or the slow grinding of forming a political consensus  ) and its
disadvantages (if you don't have the technical or financial resources to
implement your brilliant idea, you have nothing to say)

Just some thoughts to keep in mind in the current discussion,

Kai