On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 19:23:40 Janko Mihelić wrote:
> 2013/3/26 Andrew Errington <erringt...@gmail.com>
>
> > Yup, it looks fine.
> >
> > With or without a rectangle is ok.
>
> What about traffic lights? Is it necessary to see them behind the label?
>
> Here you can see Google doesn't hide traffic lights:
> http://goo.gl/maps/BgxjN
>
> And the rectangle makes the junction label different from other labels, so
> you know what they represent.

I think this is a rendering issue.  If the data indicates that there is a name
for this junction *and* there are traffic lights then the renderer can render
a label, a traffic light icon, or both (or nothing).  It comes down to to the
capabilities of the renderer, and the person who decides what's important to
render.

I like the rectangle around the label.

I think this discussion is about two things:

1) How do we record the fact that a junction has a name?
2) If the junction is named, can OSM Mapnik show a nice label?

For 1), I think the simple method stated in the wiki (junction=yes) is good
enough. (or any value of junction=*).  I also think that a relation is good
enough for the case where a named junction covers a large area with many
possible transition points.

For 2) I would appreciate it if OSM Mapnik would show a label if the name was
properly recorded.  I realise that it's easy to make such a request, but that
someone somewhere has to do some work to make it happen.

There may be other renderers that *do* show a label for a named junction right
now, but I don't know what they are.

Best wishes,

Andrew