On 25/02/2015, Jonathan Bennett <jonobenn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/02/2015 17:23, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>> Hold on, you may have misunderstood.
>
> Actually I think you've misunderstood:

Being the thread starter, I doubt that Bryce has misunderstood the
point of the thread.

> You've said these are Junk Tags, and I think everyone has agreed with
> you on that.

No, not everybody agrees that all fixme tags from imports are junk
tags. Some may be junk. Some may indicate a badly-done import that
should have fixed the issue before import. Some  are reasonable use of
fixme during an import (such as tiger's dual_carriageway).

> However people have also pointed out that they are probably
> attached to Junk Data.

Please give specific examples. For some cases it may be true, but
there's no sense in drawing a general conclusion from maybes and
anecdotes.

> This means deleting the tags mechanically won't do anything to solve the
> problem of junk data, only make it harder to find for the average
> mapper. Therefore we shouldn't mechanically delete any tags, because the
> net result will be to make OSM *as a whole* worse.

Yes, altough I argued earlyer that in some cases just removing fixmes
(mechanically or not) is the right thing to do. Just please pretty
please stop making blanket statements about all fixme tags.