Andy Mabbett wrote:
> In the absence of blatant vandalism or base abuse, I would
> have expected, first, a recent, clear and unequivocal warning on
> the user's talk page

No. Please remember that the primary means of discussion and consensus in
OSM is mailing lists, even when the subject is the wiki, and even though the
mailing lists suck. There is no precedent for obtaining consensus on
community decisions via wiki talk pages.

Talk pages might be how it's done in Wikipedia, but we're not Wikipedia.

Richard