On 2015-05-11 at 08:41:48 +0100, Lester Caine wrote:
> On 11/05/15 02:07, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> > I expect to see Xxzme back under a different username soon.
> This is the real problem.
> While it is now common for people to hide behind anonymous nicknames on
> the internet, it is certainly not courteous these days since it does
> prevent proper interaction on what IS a social platform. There are
> places where hiding ones identity is necessary, but here is not one?

forcing real looking names does not solve this issue: creating a fake
account under a name like "John Smith" is just as easy as creating one
under a nickname, and even less likely to be identified.

Requiring verification through official documents is going to bring
a number of logistic and legal problems (and won't stop motivated people
from using fake documents).

On the other hand, this tends to give problems to people with unusual names,
who see their real name refused by the system, and prevents people with
long term pseudonimes to subscribe to the system with the name they
are actually known as.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''