Tuesday, October 26, 1999

Hello Paula,

  (snip)
>>> The other side of this argument is that the vast majority of users use,
>>> will use, and probably need only a fraction of the capability of a
>>> program. They don't need nor care about their software being master of
>>> anything. They also don't think or care about "bloat".
true

>> This again is true. I have tried to put this small point across to
>> certain techies but their general reaction is that the 'don't need and
>> don't care for technical functionality' mentality is borne of
>> ignorance and unwillingness to learn rather than of a genuine desire
>> or position, for that matter, based on rational reasoning.
Its not an attitude to the users, more that it makes systems much more
difficult to support. I donot mind it it takes you 10 times as long to
type if you donot complain but if it gives me twice the amount of
messed up windows...
I prefer programs which interfere and write to the OS as little as
possible which exclude bascially any MS garbage..
Note: personally so thats what I run. On the other hand if someone
wants to run  outlook and I warn them I just charge them the recovery
fee when their emails/address lists  are gone.
Normally they change (g); never seen one who doesnt change after he
gets the bill with the explanation why the others would not have had
that problem
Paula> This attitude towards users annoys me and is generally unhelpful, IMO.
Paula> Computers are still way too difficult to use and there is nothing wrong
Paula> with people who don't want to spend half their time learning how to use
Paula> them, diddling with settings, etc. But, no matter what the "techies"
Paula> think, it is inevitable that eventually this will change.
(snip)

>> I guess this is the crux of the matter and Ritlabs calls the shots.

Paula> Yes, it is and they do. It all depends on the target market.
noipe, it depends on their marketing...

>> So, perhaps, plug-ins will deal nicely with the bloat issue, but not
>> the issue of compromised mastery.
Plugins are the best way to add capabilities IF they publish facts of
file formats as requested by others,

Paula> The plug-ins idea comes up alot with other software as well. Everyone
Paula> seems to think it is great, but I don't see it being adopted much in
Paula> significant software. I have no idea really, but perhaps it is not so
Paula> easy to implement. Then, there is the pricing issue. When you are
Paula> competing with "free" software, do you charge extra for a major plug-in
Paula> such as news reading capability?
Its the other ,often freeware plugins which add value to the basic
package.
And correct, you know any MS package with plugins??
Now look at ADOBE!!
Without those plugins they would be dead.
The bat is competing with free software. if the mess it up I will
switch to another emailer, they will be around.

Best regards,

tracer

Using theBAT 1.36

mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]