On Monday, October 25, 1999, Leif Gregory wrote:

PF>> I think that the list members as a whole are probably not very
PF>> representative of the general user community and those who post
PF>> even less so...

> I agree completely, but I'm of the strong conviction that to have a
> voice, you must vote...

A democratic nation that ignores the fact that the majority of its
citizens are not voting at all will be in trouble eventually; a business
even more so.  If the vocal minority is representative of the market,
fine. If they are not ... well ... I've been computing for alot of years
and could give you a long list of truly great programs that are no
longer around, despite a core of avid, if not fanatical, fans, because
that market wasn't enough to feed the programmers, who do have to eat
like the the rest of us.

> I do have to say that I wish more people were tolerant of "unpopular
> wishes"...

> If you think it might be a better way, then ask! You might catch some
> flack, but hey, life goes on.

No criticism of the list was intended. It's a nice list.

> Computers are not going away, they will continue to become a more and
> more integral part of our daily lives. Computers aren't intuitive, and
> like the great majority of other skills in the world, they must be
> learned and practiced.

Not to digress too much, but I work with a man who recently purchased a
PC for his home. He knows very little about PCs.He first bought a HP,
when he struggled with setting it up because HP did not provide an easy,
setup guide and he couldn't get his printer to work with it, he packed
it up, returned it to the store and got an Compaq instead (ewwww!) which
is real good at thinking like people who know nothing about PCs. He's
delighted with it; his wife is delighted with it; his daughter is
delighted with it. This represents the future of computing.

Computers will become a more and more integral part of our lives, but
they will look and behave nothing like these primitive, difficult to
use, unreliable, frustrating tools we use now - and it won't be that
long - but in the meantime, there are livings, even fortunes, still to be
made.

> This is the only argument I can't refute. In a business aspect, it
> would most likely behoove RIT Labs to cater to the larger and less
> savvy market. I love TB, but wouldn't hesitate to look elsewhere if it
> became bloatware.

If RIT Labs thought they had a chance of putting TB on even a small part
of corporate desktops, do you think there would be any contest?

It all boils down to whether the niche market is enough to pay the bills
and where RIT Labs wants to go. Somewhere in something written by RIT
Labs, they say the program is intended primarily for businesses. I
remember being surprised by that at the time, because I don't think I
would have named my program The Bat! complete with animated logo if that
were the case.

I think - having sort of forgotten now - that my point was that a
software company has more to consider than a few e-mails posted to a
user list with respect to providing news reading capabilities or
anything else about the development of their product.

--
Paula Ford
The Bat! 1.35 (reg)