Hi

On Sunday 15 June 2014 at 5:36:58 AM, in
<mid:1534452431.20140615113...@thebat.net>, Thomas Fernandez wrote:

> Most emails (like the text messages here) do not
> require HTML and should be sent as plaintext.

I would say that no email requires HTML, only a very few emails
benefit from it's use, and most of those would be better served by
putting the formatted presentation in an attachment.

> However, please do not put tables or small pictures in
> the attachments. It is much more efficient to put them
> into the body of the email.

I disagree.

For inserting into the email, the process is identical or very similar
(in most email clients I have ever used) for attaching a file to a
plaintext email or inserting it into an HTML email. So there is no
efficiency gain or loss for the sender.

For the reader who views emails in plaintext, there is the ongoing
efficiency gain of not wasting time looking at such attachments unless
they find the message cannot be understood without: people often
include such things without needing to. And if the attachment needs to
be seen, it is usually just a couple of mouse-clicks away. When a
sender includes pictures in their email body, this recipient finds
them in their proper place as attachments, so no efficiency gain or
loss.

When the sender has placed a formatted table in the message body, the
recipient sometimes sees an unformatted mess of table entries one per
line in their plaintext viewer, instead of an attachment. One or two
clicks and the recipient can be reading the table in their HTML
viewer. No efficiency gain or loss between opening an attached table
with a couple of clicks versus switching to HTML viewer with a couple
of clicks.

Placing the extras as attachments rather than inline in your HTML
affords the same efficiency saving to your readers who view in HTML as
are gained on an ongoing basis by those who choose to read emails in
plaintext. It also makes your inserts appear more important, as the
reader who clicks to open them is likely to pay attention than the
reader who casts there eye over them when reading the body of an
email.

--
Best regards

MFPA                    mailto:2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-gro...@riseup.net

I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute of it.

Using The Bat! v4.0.38 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 3