Hello MFPA,

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 you wrote:

M> Hi

M> On Monday 16 June 2014 at 12:14:42 AM, in
M> <mid:16731904.20140615181...@charter.net>, Jack S. LaRosa wrote:

>> I used this Gmail account to BCC myself
>> on several HTML messages so that I could see what my
>> recipients were seeing.

M> I take it you *know* they view their mail exclusively on the google
M> website, without any "themes" being available that might affect the
M> display formatting, and you also looked at it on the google website
M> using the same browser version as they use and the same browser
M> settings, on the same platform. Use a MUA, or a different browser, or
M> a mobile phone and all bets are off.

Well, if in fact all those things will affect the way the text is
displayed, then I guess I really don't know how the text appears to
them.  I never checked, just assumed.

>>  As I recall the formatting
>> came through ok.  I fear that most of my recipients
>> would not understand the asterisks, slashes and
>> underscores if I switched to plaintext for them.

M> I don't know your recipients, obviously. But for a random sample, I
M> would expect nearly everybody who saw the asterisks in an email to
M> understand them, and probably ~60% with the underscores. But asking
M> them in the abstract without showing them, far fewer would claim to
M> know.

You're probably right, it's just that in my mind there's some visceral
emotion that italics, bold and underline convey that asterisks,
slashes and underscores fail to deliver.

--
Best Regards,
Jack LaRosa

Using The Bat! ver: 5.2.
Running Windows 7 Pro ver 6 build 7601 Service Pack 1