Hi

On Sunday 15 June 2014 at 2:06:02 PM, in
<mid:1523432040.20140615080...@charter.net>, Jack S. LaRosa wrote:

> Well personally I like to have the ability to more
> accurately express myself with bold or italics or even
> underline.

I have that ability in plaintext, via the
fairly-universally-understood convention of:-

*bold*
/italics/
_underlined_

Or I could emphasise with CAPITALS.

And all of the above gets through whether the recipient views in
plaintext or HTML. All the fancy formatting of an HTML message was a
complete waste of time if the recipient reads it in a plaintext view.
And even if the recipient views in HTML, their viewing settings may be
wildly different to your own, so they don't see what you imagine they
might.

> In my original query I am forced to use
> asterisks to emphasize text which, in my opinion,
> should be italicized.

I don't see that in any of your messages in this thread. But it does
the job (and whether to use bold or italics for emphasis is merely a
stylistic preference).

> I think that if HTML "doesn't
> belong in email" then I have to wonder why the coders
> included it in such a powerful and versatile email
> client like TB!.  I'll bet a lot of coding time went
> into including HTML.  If you were using MS Word or some
> other word processor or even (cough, cough) **Gmail!**,
> you'd always have those formatting choices available.

I also wonder why invest so much time and effort into coding your own
HTML editor rather than writing an API that interpreted the formatting
of rich text messages composed using a word processor.

> Why should email be denied those options?

Why *should* these formatting options be available in an email body?
They seldom add to the message and there is no reasonable expectation
the recipient sees the same formatting as the sender.

An email is a message, not a presentation. Anybody wishing to send a
presentation can attach it to their email, or send a link.

--
Best regards

MFPA                    mailto:2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-gro...@riseup.net

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much

Using The Bat! v4.0.38 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 3