--- Begin Message ---
On 05/09/2020 18:20, Francois-Xavier Le Bail via tcpdump-workers wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Some people ask for a new version of tcpdump.
>
> To understand why we cannot release now, here is some information:
>
> We are in the process to harden the tcpdump code with use of new (GET_)
> macros (with setjmp/longjmp
> logic) to fetch the packet data without have to do ND_TCHECK_/ND_TTEST_ macro
> calls before EXTRACT_
> macros calls.
>
> [...]

Hello,

The post setjmp/longjmp updates take more time than expected. About 30% of the
work is done.
To avoid keeping too long the other updates in the master branch, we plan to
release soon a 4.99.0
version. 5.0.0 will be the released later when all the "pre-longjmp" logic will
be removed.
In this transitional step the only visible effect should be that the -x/-X
options will not always
show the link-layer header in truncation cases.

--
Francois-Xavier

--- End Message ---