--- Begin Message ---
I just wanted to share some of my thinking about how to proceed with the
truncation-related changes on the road to 5.0.0.

1. Improve code coverage for the printer that's being modified.  (This
ensures that the code being modified has a corresponding test pcap that can
be used by steps 2 and 3).
2. Use the trunc-o-matic tool from
https://github.com/fenner/tcpdump/tree/trunc-o-matic/tools to print out the
result at all possible truncation lengths.  (The current state of this tool
is just proof-of-concept; obviously before it is really useful it should at
least loop over all of the pcap files provided on the command line, and
allow specifying options like -v and -e, etc.)
3. Modify the code to use the new logic, using trunc-o-matic output to
ensure that the differences introduced are not regressions.

If step 3 results in no output differences, then there's no need to examine
the (extremely verbose) trunc-o-matic output.

I also think that community members would be willing to chip in if the
effort was coordinated (e.g., open a github ticket for each printer that
needs this conversion, have a wiki page that talks about the conversion
process, etc.).  There's no need for the maintainers to take on the work of
all of the protocols.

Proof of concept for coverage integration with travis:
https://coveralls.io/jobs/72964678

Sample file - print-ospf.c with 26% coverage -
https://coveralls.io/jobs/72964678/source_files/4635095477

  Bill

--- End Message ---