Andrew Hume wrote:
> i have been telecommuting seriously for 20+ years and follow
> eric allman's advice (offered 20 years ago, it might be different now).
> for headsets, the best in teh world don't cost a lot, so just get them.
> so i use plantronics st141 headsets (nowadays i use the wireless ones)
> with a noise cancelling microphone and they work well.

I'm also a full-time telecommuter, and still using the Plantronics M10-H61N I
bought with my own money in AD 1990.  At one point recently the foam earpieces
more or less disintegrated, and Plantronics sent me new ones, gratis.  I figure
I've got another 10 years to go, at least.

Not wireless, though.  Wire is your friend.  In a data center I'd want full
covers a la aviation (Telex?), but I'd be willing to spend more than $100 to
get
them.  And not everything with the Plantronics brand on it is of the same
quality, any more.  Caveat emptor.