i have been telecommuting seriously for 20+ years and follow
eric allman's advice (offered 20 years ago, it might be different now).
for headsets, the best in teh world don't cost a lot, so just get them.
so i use plantronics st141 headsets (nowadays i use the wireless ones)
with a noise cancelling microphone and they work well.
(i can play music at a moderate volume and callers cannot hear it.)
don't know how they would do in a data center.