During the implementation of OpenERP verson 5.0.6 during February 2010 in a
small size company in Kampala (Uganda), we came across a number of pitfalls
which caused problems and error screens which were sometimes difficult to
interpret. In some cases hints were found (afterwards) in the documentation
however these were not clear upfront. For that reason we have listed a number
of these issues which could help other inexperienced users to avoid the same
difficulties.
I will email this document to OpenERP, also put it on the user forum and upload
some of this material to the relevant sections of the existing documentation
(to facilitate the next update).
The issues listed are roughly given in the order we discovered them during the
implementation.

•     Database Back-up / Restore procedure
Initially the database back-up function did not work. The discussion in the
userforum helped us to resolve this important issue (relevant details can be
found on http://www.openobject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=50802#50802).
Adherence to a rigid procedure for database back-up / restore is strongly
advised !!

•     Setting Default Currency
During the initial set-up of the system only one of the known currencies can be
selected. We chose USD although we needed Uganda Shillings as default. This can
be done after the initial set-up by: financial management > configuration >
currencies and add a new currency UGX as default.
N.B.: To facilitate occasional USD transactions, the USD to UGX exchange rate
needs to be regularly updated via: financial management > financial
configuration > currencies.

•     Define Chart of Accounts
Can either be a predefined chart of accounts (e.g. UK minimum) or a specific
set of accounts (e.g. as already in use within the company).
Accounts are defined via: financial management > configuration > general ledger
> list of accounts. Enter the relevant account numbers, names, internal type,
accounting type and parent. Make sure the internal types are set to
‘other’, only parent accounts should have internal type ‘view’. Set the
default tax per account code.
N.B.: Accounts with type ‘view’ cannot be used to book cost. Changing type
settings can be problematic !
N.B.: Every account which could be involved in reconciliation needs the setting
‘reconcile’ !
N.B.: Selecting more than one set of predefined chart of accounts gives rise to
unpredictable results !
N.B.: Setting ‘deleting allowed’ is advised
N.B.: Using the import functionality via a CSV file saves time

•     Setting up Journals
Fairly straight forward on the basis of table 7.4 on page 75 in the
documentation.
Apart from a starting journal (see below), we also defined an Inter-Bank
transfer journal to simplify the bookings and to get these transactions
properly listed.

•     Creating a Starting Balance
Presetting balance items to reflect the proper starting position can be done as
follows:
-  define a starting journal (configuration > financial accounting > financial
accounts > financial journals), type ‘ situation’ and ‘centralized
counterpart’
-  create two accounts called default credit account and default debit account
and define the account numbers outside the range of numbers of the existing
chart of accounts, account type ‘view’ and internal type ‘others’
-  insert starting balance figures (financial management  > entries encoding >
entries encoding by line), click new and insert date, account, name, debit /
credit (alternatively a CSV file could be imported with the relevant data)

•     Outstanding Debtors and Creditors
Defining outstanding debtors and creditors to reflect the proper starting
position can be done as follows:
-  add names and addresses of all debtors and creditors as a partner (relations
> relations)
-  make an invoice for every item related to an existing outstanding debtor or
outstanding creditor

•     Set initial Invoice Number
In order to avoid using invoice numbers which have been used in the period
prior to implementing OpenERP one can define the initial starting invoice
number as follows: financial administration > configuration > sequences >
sequences, select account invoice out, padding 4, next number as appropriate,
increment 1

•     Properties / Values in module Product
Some of the general default properties in module Product need to be reset after
changing particular account codes such as Account Receivable and Account
Payable, by deleting the corresponding ‘values’ and redefining them with
the valid account codes.
This is not obvious to an inexperienced user and can be regarded as a bug in
the system.

Hopefully our experience will benefit others who also plan to implement
OpenERP. Even though the emphasis here is on issues and potential pitfalls, the
system is in our opinion very powerful and flexible.

http://www.openobject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=53353#53353