Allen Esterson wrote:
"Mike, I presume you are referring to the Scottish Justice Secretary, Kenny
MacAskill. He wasn't imposing his will on everyone involved, he came to
decision that it was his responsibility to make on the basis of Scottish law
and precedent."

Really? Besides the fact that I don't know how you could possibly know such
a thing, I wonder why so many disagree with it then (including those in
Scotland). If it was more or less a foregone conclusion based on "Scottish
law and precedent" why do so many think he made the wrong decision?

If it isn't a more or less foregone conclusion based on "Scottish law and
precedent", then MacAskill IS imposing his will on everyone involved.

I also disagree that it was his decision to make. Rather he has a
responsibility to the public and to uphold the agreements arrived at that
the terrorist will serve out a life sentence. He does NOT have free-will,
free-wheeling, do as he thinks best authority. He is a public SERVANT, not a
public master.

All to often people like this, bent by their position of responsibility
which they mentally twist into a position of power and authority come to
believe that they ARE the law rather than merely a servant of it.

--Mike