Please note that Abdel Baset al-Megrahi was not convicted of
_committing_ mass murder.
He was convicted on the grounds that a Maltese shopkeeper said that
he had purchased a shirt whose remnants were found wrapped around the
bomb <http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111881314>.
I'll leave alternative explanations to the readers.

On Aug 24, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> Well let me see.
>
> No I don't have a "character" or "personality" analysis of
> MacAskill that indicates the "type" of person he is. I don't think
> that psychology has a good enough handle on character and
> personality to produce a very valid one, and anyway I wouldn't be
> qualified to conduct one since I'm not in clinical.
>
> So, my assessment is my opinion based on how I read the situation
> (as are many of the posts by many of the posters in TIPS).
>
> Nevertheless it is an assessment that seems reasonable.
>
> The big question to me is how is it compassionate to have
> "compassion" on a single individual when doing so will cause great
> grief and sufferring to hundreds of others?
> I maintain that MacAskill's decision to deliberately and knowingly
> force great grief and suffering upon hundreds of people (including
> many of his own countrymen) for the sake of having "compassion" on
> a single individual who committed mass murder is a farce and has
> nothing to do with "compassion". Rather, as a representative of the
> people in issues of justice he is a total and complete failure.
>
> To pile up all sorts of 'considerations' and torturous judgement
> processes poor MadAskill had to go through in this decision is
> merely to try to obscure the central issue of his misguided and
> malicious judgement. He could well have done the responsible and
> truly compassionate thing and stamped the application: "Application
> denied".
>
> We will never know his true motivation which could range from
> twisted libertarian ethics, to a desire for notoriety to blackmail.
> But it certainly shouldn't be recorded as "compassion" when he
> alone willingly and willfully forced additional grief and suffering
> on hundreds of individuals who have already suffered greatly.

Paul Brandon
Emeritus Professor of Psychology
Minnesota State University, Mankato
paul.bran...@mnsu.edu