On 25 August 2009 Paul Brandon wrote:
Please note that Abdel Baset al-Megrahi was not convicted of
_committing_ mass murder.
He was convicted on the grounds that a Maltese shopkeeper said
that he had purchased a shirt whose remnants were found wrapped
around the  bomb
<http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111881314>.
I'll leave alternative explanations to the readers.

Paul, I don't understand this. You've conflated what Megrahi was convicted of, and the evidence on which he was convicted. As the Scottish Daily Record says: "In January 2001, Megrahi was found guilty of mass murder and jailed for life with a minimum term of 20 years."
http://tinyurl.com/n88a9p

Incidentally, the cited NPR article does not say quite what Paul states above. It says "largely" on the grounds of that evidence. My recollection of seeing a TV programme about the evidence some years ago is that there was considerably more to it than that. (A first appeal by Megrahi was turned down by the appeal court.) Nevertheless I am of the view that the conviction was unsafe, on the grounds that a major item in the evidence was the Maltese shopkeeper's identification of Megrahi, and that such witness identification is inherently unreliable.

I was of the opinion that, had the second appeal gone ahead, significant information about the episode might well have emerged. This is not the view of Professor Peter Duff, who spent three-and-a-half years reviewing the case as a member of the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission: "I think it highly unlikely that the truth is out there and would have emerged as a result of the appeal. I don't know if it's out there any more."
http://tinyurl.com/n88a9p

Incidentally, I wonder how those in the Libyan welcome home crowd who waved Scottish flags got hold of them. I find it difficult to imagine that Scottish flags are obtainable by individuals at short notice in Libya.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
http://www.esterson.org