I did a bunch of googling before posting my question, but never came across that post; thanks for listing it; it appears to be exactly what I need.

Dave

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: David Kerber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Context path changes in context.xml not working

Nobody has any suggestions about setting up a 2-level context path *without* putting it in the server.xml (it works fine in there)?

I thought I remembered something about this, and went googling for the
issue.  Take a look at:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=110989168604231&w=2

If you put your <Context> fragment in
   conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/dir1#dir2#appname.xml
you can access the webapp via http://[hostname]/dir1/dir2/appname, which
I think is what you want.  Haven't been able to find this in the Tomcat
doc yet, but I did test it successfully on 5.5.9.  Have no idea if this
trick with the # would work on the name of a .war file.

 - Chuck