If the standard shutdown approach does not work, that is a bug.  Whether
the bug is in your code or in Tomcat is the next thing to be determined.

What is *supposed* to happen:
- Tomcat calls the destroy() method of all your servlets
- (Tomcat 4.0 only) Tomcat calls the contextDestroyed() method of
  all your context event listeners (this was added in Servlet 2.3)
- Tomcat exits gracefuly
- The operating system process goes away.

If this is not happening for you, the most likely explanations are one of
the following:
- You have a servlet whose destroy() method never returns, or for some
  reason takes longer to process than you have waited
- You have started some threads of your own, have not marked them
  as daemon threads, and have not cleaned them up in a destroy() method.
- There is some bug in Tomcat's shutdown processing.

The quickest way to figure out whether it's Tomcat or not is to create a
clean installation of Tomcat (from the binary distribution) and start it
up and shut it down.  If this works for you, then the problem is most
likely in your application.  If this doesn't work, there's something else
wierd going on that should be reported as a Tomcat bug to the bug tracking
system at:

  http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

Craig McClanahan