From: Steve Brunton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 1:29 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Shutdown Tomcat

Evan Swanson wrote:

> Yeah, I have been wondering the same thing.
>
> On unix is seems that you have to kill the process.
> Shutdown.bat and shutdown.sh do not seem to stop the Tomcat process.
> I am guessing they just log off all of the sessions 'gracefully'
> You then have to manually kill the process?
>
> I am not sure if this is a problem with tomcat or it is supposed to be
that
> way.
>
> It seems to be the same effect when you use the manager application to
> shutdown tomcat so I am guessing that it was designed to work that way.
>
> I have been unable to find any doco on the subject.
>
> Does anybody know a better way of shutting down the server than killing
the
> process?

  I've got Tomcat 4.0.1/JDK1.3.1_01 shutting down happily on Solaris x86
just spiffy like. It does seem to take it a while to spool everything
down. Currently it's only loading about 10 servlets and if I tail the
output log as the thing is shutting down I can see it hitting all the
destroy() methods and shutting down JNDI, JDBC and LDAP connections.
Make sure that all your servlets clean up after themselves and it should
shutdown fine.

This email and any attachments are confidential and may be
legally privileged. No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any transmission in error.  If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that any use,
printing, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited.
Please delete this email and any attachments, without
printing, copying, forwarding or saving them and notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail.  Zurich Capital Markets
and its affiliates reserve the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through its networks.  Unless otherwise
stated, any pricing information in this e-mail is indicative
only, is subject to change and does not constitute an offer
to enter into any transaction at such price and any terms in
relation to any proposed transaction are indicative only and
subject to express final confirmation.