ftr, 1 Jn 5, in either KJV or NIV (but in the NIV, as follows), teaches that the only perfect one is JC himself--among us humans there is no one perfect but God

Evidence:

1Jn.5:16ff.:  If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask [God], and [God] shall give him life..We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

the Ap. John is reconciled to the fact that 'brothers' sin, but like the Ap. Paul in Gal 6:1, he teaches us to deal with that brother gently; why(?)--because at some point the bro in need of gentleness may be him or you and he probably heard JC teach us directly to 'do unto others as you'd have them do unto you'

this is reinforced by 'whosoever is born of God', above, which is relatively clear even in KJV language: it is none other than JC himself!

As DR. GT points out, below, the NIV language simply clarifies (does not contradict) this passage as a whole(which is not intentionally obfuscated in/by KJV linguistics, but is less clear than it oughta be due, in part, to the Shakespearean 'whosoever' restated improperly when it had been employed earlier in the passage to refer to church members, not to JC himself)

In sum, the Ap. John teaches us that Christ himself is the perfect one, but does not teach the perfection/ism of those 'in Christ' (now); (but) those 'in Christ' do have the profound obligation to follow Christ in all details of 'life' (in the Johannine sense), including to follow JC in our dealing/s with sin/ners among us: "Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you" is serious contemporary business--not set aside to the future coming Kingdom; and, the Ap. John's teaching squares with (e.g.) Isaiah's preaching/foretelling of the love of God 'in Christ' which runs counter to the asceticism of both the Jews and the Greeks (i.e., the world-view/influence of, e.g., Plato)   g

for reference:

Isaiah 64
"All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away...Yet, O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand...O LORD; do not remember our sins forever..."