Maybe others are taking this for granted, but I think it would help to get
clear on why exactly we need a Tuscany SEI2WSDL/WSDL2SEI toolset, as opposed
to, say, leveraging and extending something like the CXF toolset.

I can see these arguments:

A) There are SCA-specific aspects of the artifacts to deal with and other
tools are not extensible enough.
  Example:   A SEI2WSDL tool should handle the SCA @OneWay in addition to
the JAX-WS @Oneway

B) The databinding extensibility/pluggability mechanims in other toolsets
(CXF) are not flexible/robust enough.   (We certainly know this is true of
JAXWS RI).

C) We care about more than just Java as the SEI, but others don't?

D) We want to provide a tool-time mapping which matches our runtime
mapping.

I'm not familiar enough w/ other tools to argue A) or B), but I'm assuming
that D) is the most important reason for most people.

While it does seem inefficient for every Apache WS-related project to have
to implement all the JAX-WS rules from scratch, and while we might hope that
any tool "following the spec (JAXWS)" (plus whatever databinding
introspection rules Tuscany establishes) should work....   we want to have a
single tool that we have control of as a project.

If we take, for example, the time not too long ago where we debated an
aspect of the rules for calculating that a WSDL was doc-lit-wrapped, it
would help to have a single tool that for certain shared the same
interpretation as the runtime.

-----

Before we go writing code to support all the JAX-WS WSDL customizations,
have we agreed that this is why we are doing this?

Scott