Fabian Rodriguez wrote:
> alan c wrote:
>> For some days now there has been an avalanche of requests for linux
>> including Ubuntu, on Dell machines, [...]
>> But why do I not see a Ubuntu comment in addition to Novell?
>> And why is it only corporate products?
>>

> Eric S Raymond provides some insight in his " World Domination 201"
> paper. I posted about this in the past few days here:
> http://www.salmar.com/pipermail/wftl-lug/2007-February/015369.html
> http://www.salmar.com/pipermail/wftl-lug/2007-February/015384.html
>
> So really, we need to stop correlating the survey with their Novell
> announcement and remember this is a limited,
> corporate-market target, Novell-only-for-now deal. Good news, but
> certainly not "Any Linux on all Dells for eveyone, because of this
> single survey". Why ? Among other reasons, the seer size of Dell - but
> also pressure from MS I guess.
>
> They actually clarified that later on:
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=linux_and_unix&articleId=9011907&taxonomyId=122&intsrc=kc_top
>
> Fabian Rodriguez
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FabianRodriguez

yes thanks, the corporate question was perhaps a distraction.

My main concern is that someone closely related to Ubuntu is into the
situation to get a good and early outcome for Ubuntu.

This does *not* mean preinstalled by Dell I think that is rather
unlikely, but influencing the information about drivers.

Dell are not going to do much for ubuntu just yet, but we can get a
lot of leverage about drivers and maybe influence Dell choices behind
the scenes.

--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391