On Thursday 01 March 2007 16:19:22 alan c wrote:
> Fabian Rodriguez wrote:
> > alan c wrote:
> >> For some days now there has been an avalanche of requests for linux
> >> including Ubuntu, on Dell machines, [...]
> >> But why do I not see a Ubuntu comment in addition to Novell?
> >> And why is it only corporate products?
> >
> > Eric S Raymond provides some insight in his " World Domination 201"
> > paper. I posted about this in the past few days here:
> > http://www.salmar.com/pipermail/wftl-lug/2007-February/015369.html
> > http://www.salmar.com/pipermail/wftl-lug/2007-February/015384.html
> >
> > So really, we need to stop correlating the survey with their Novell
> > announcement and remember this is a limited,
> > corporate-market target, Novell-only-for-now deal. Good news, but
> > certainly not "Any Linux on all Dells for eveyone, because of this
> > single survey". Why ? Among other reasons, the seer size of Dell - but
> > also pressure from MS I guess.
> >
> > They actually clarified that later on:
> > http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&t
> >axonomyName=linux_and_unix&articleId=9011907&taxonomyId=122&intsrc=kc_top
> >
> > Fabian Rodriguez
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FabianRodriguez
>
> yes thanks, the corporate question was perhaps a distraction.
>
> My main concern is that someone closely related to Ubuntu is into the
> situation to get a good and early outcome for Ubuntu.

Just to add the inside view : we are doing many things in Canonical that are
commercial and therefore confidential. If you ever get an idea for a new
partner activity of any kind, you can drop me a mail ;-)

> This does *not* mean preinstalled by Dell I think that is rather
> unlikely, but influencing the information about drivers.

See above ... and know that we have our fingers on lots of pulses.

> Dell are not going to do much for ubuntu just yet, but we can get a
> lot of leverage about drivers and maybe influence Dell choices behind
> the scenes.

See the two paragraphs above !

Malc

--