From: mary mullin <laxmom...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Understand] Chapter six?
To: "Special Chat List for To Understand: New Horizons in Reading
Comprehension" <understand@literacyworkshop.org>
Date: Monday, February 2, 2009, 3:52 PM

Lori,
What grades are the students flatlining at Level 20-24? In my class (I teach
1st/2nd in a 2 yr. loop) I let kids have a mix of leveled, "just
right"
books, picture books, nonfiction and poetry in their book boxes. In the
morning the kids have free choice, I just hope they might put the book back
in the right bin! During DEAR time I say 1-2 just right books in 1st grade
and then free choice. I let the kids go shopping from my leveled books and I
try and make sure they have a 7-15 just right books and then their other
picks.  Our librarian supports a combination of just right and free choice
too. The only time I try to direct a child to pick books closer to their
level is in 2nd grade and the child wants to read a chapter book (with few
illustrations) and they are still at level 12/14 or below.  I love Pioneer
Valley books because they have books at those levels that look like chapter
books and then the kids feel excited that they are in chapter books too. I
think it's important to honor their choice and provide a good mix.  I must
say the most popular books for my boys are Calvin &  Hobbes cartoon
books...I've had to replace them after every loop. My son learned to read
using Calvin and 20 years later boys still love them! He refuses to let me
bring his books in!  mary