OK, here is the process I followed and the issues that I have found while
getting forrest to work with sdocbook.

I edited forrest.properties to include the sdocbook plugin and the Open
Office plugin.
I put a (validated) sdocbook file and an Open Office document into 'sample'
directory of a freshly seeded site. (I also added some sdocbook files to a
'manuals' subdirectory of 'sample')
I edited site.xml to give LH Navigation to these documents.
I ran 'forrest' to build a static site. The build was unsuccessful due to
some broken links.
I downloaded plugin.xml from forrest.apache.org into the plugins directory
as the build said that file was missing. (It took me a while to figure that
out) I then got a successful build.
The Open Office document converted OK,(except for images) but the sdocbook
page had only the header and LH Navigation, no content. The build listing
shows all plugins being available and mounts them.

Following the documentation from "V5.2. How do I use DocBook as the xml
documentation format?" as best as I was able with my limited knowledge, I
made the following changes to sitemap.xmap in src/documentation/ :

I added the following
--------------------------
<sourcetype name="sdocbook">
                <document-declaration public-id="-//OASIS//DTD Simplified
DocBook XML V1.1//EN" />
</sourcetype>
--------------------------

After this existing section:
--------------------------
            <map:when test="hello-v1.0">
            <map:generate src="{project:content.xdocs}{../../1}.xml" />
            <map:transform
src="{project:resources.stylesheets}/hello2document.xsl" />
            <map:serialize type="xml-document"/>
          </map:when>
--------------------------
I added this:
--------------------------
          <map:when test="sdocbook">
            <map:generate src="{project:content.xdocs}{../../1}.xml" />
            <map:transform
src="{project:resources.stylesheets}/sdocbook2document.xsl" />
            <map:serialize type="xml-document"/>
          </map:when>
--------------------------
And I added this section:
--------------------------
<map:match pattern="**manuals/**.xml">
    <map:generate src="{project:content.xdocs}{1}manuals/{2}.xml" />
    <map:act type="sourcetype"
src="{project:content.xdocs}{1}manuals/{2}.xml">
     <map:select type="parameter">
      <map:parameter name="parameter-selector-test" value="{sourcetype}" />
      <map:when test="sdocbook">
       <map:transform
          src="{project:resources.stylesheets}/sdocbook2document.xsl" />
      </map:when>
     </map:select>
    </map:act>
    <map:serialize type="xml"/>
   </map:match>
--------------------------
After which everything worked. I had presumed that just declaring the
sdocbook plugin would do the trick. I needed to move sdocbook2document.xsl
because of the <map:transform src= declaration I added above.

Then I went back and commented out the bits I added, one at a time, and did
a fresh build each time. The match pattern section made no difference but
the sdocbook files were not built if either the source type or map generate
sections were left out. I presume the sdocbook plugin should modify this
file or override it somehow?

Perhaps my next exercise should be to do a reinstall of forrest and see if
this is repeatable. I would love to find out that there is an easier way.

Phil

Ps Just had a thought. I downloaded the plugins manually before modifying
forrest.properties, rather than letting forrest get them automatically when
needed. Perhaps that has affected the installation of the plugins?