Phillip Evans wrote:

It would really help if you make your replies inline as I am doing here. If someone This keeps the context of our discussion so that I can remember exactly what we are doing. I write many mails every day and I have a short memory ;-)

It also helps make the archives much more readable, that is if a new user has the same problem as you and comes to this mail in the archives they will see a dialog that describes how to diagnose their problem rather than a summary that you discovered the solution.

Thanks for your time on this. I have done as you outlined. After running
forrest site in testSDocbook directory I again got the message in the
console:

BROKEN: C:\apachefriends\xampp\htdocs\apache-forrest-0.7\plugins\plugins.xml
<The system cannot find the file specified>

However all the plugins appeared to be retrieved and configured as you
describe.

Yes the plugin download mechanism doesn't use a local copy of the file (neither does the docs build anymore, thanks to your report above).

I checked the distribution zip file for forrest and found that
\apache-forrest-0.7\plugins\plugins.xml was present, so copied it to where
it should have been in my installation. I re-ran forrest site without
problems.

How can it have been present in the distribution but not in your installation? Is it safe for me to assume that this is a problem local to you rather than in the distribution.

I then ran forrest run in:
FORREST_HOME/build/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.simplifiedDocbook
without problems, and could view sdocbook.html and .pdf

I then tried adding one of my own sdocbook documents, and again had the
problem of no content. I checked out input.xmap, and found that it had a
sourcetype of sdocbook-v1.0, whereas my documents are all sdocbook-v1.1

I assigned sdocbook-v1.0 to a couple of my documents, and they worked fine.

I suppose it is possible to modify input.xmap so that will accept
sdocbook-v1.1 as well?

Where should that be done?

I've updated the plugin for version 4.1.2.5 of the plugin but there isn't a released 1.1 version that I can see ( http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/simple/ ). What is the public identifier you are using?

Once I know what we need to add I'll update the plugin. If you want to do this yourself (and supply a patch please) then take a look at input.xmap The supported DTD's are listed at the top of the file and you will need to add a matcher later in the file, it is pretty much a cut and past job.

Might I suggest that on the initial plugins page on
forrest.apache.org that a indication be placed above the download section
that this is normally done automatically by forrest, rather than having to
follow a link to a second page to find this out.

I've added a two sentence description on how to install plugins to the page as you suggest, it will appear on the site next time we update.

Still, I have learned heaps more than I would have if it had all gone
smoothly, as it obviously does if done right. Next time, read the
instructions, Phillip, read the instructions.

:-))

Ross