Yes thanks.
Ruth i just mean with e-commerce site, that i don't see any influence
on the e-commerce content when i should define a vendor for a product
in the catalog.

There is no difference in the content on the e-commerce web pages. I
mean on Amazon.com you could see who is the vendor for some products
when it is not Amazon itself. But that is not implemented (yet?) in
ofbiz ecommerce component.

Heidi

2011/12/9 Ruth Hoffman <rhoff...@aesolves.com>:
> Hi Heidi:
> IMHO no. They are the same Party just acting in different roles.
>
> IMHO we should just stop talking about them as 2 different things. Here is
> where I am coming from: I did not write any of the project code or design
> the original data model.  I just use this stuff - day in and day out. My
> interpretations are based on how I've implemented different business
> automation relative to my clients needs. When my client says that they want
> to support and track vendors who supply raw materials to their manufacturing
> shop, I do not stop and ask myself whether or not these parties are defined
> as "vendors" or "suppliers".
>
> That same client may also say "I want to track supplies (from vendors) as
> they are received in my warehouse become part of inventory and then may be
> resold on the ecommerce site". Again, I don't stop to ask myself whether
> those parties are "vendors" or "suppliers".  My clients and I call these
> parties "vendors". These vendors "supply" the company with goods. When they
> supply the company with goods, products or services they are vendors acting
> in a role of "supplier".
>
> This interpretation has stood the test of time and works for me and my
> clients. Your mileage may vary...but that is the beauty of OFBiz. It is
> flexible enough to withstand even the most outlandish of misinterpretations.
>
> Not sure what you mean by vendor and ecommerce website?
>
> Regards,
> Ruth
>

> On 12/9/11 3:23 PM, Info Olagos wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ruth,
>>
>> Yes ok, but now i am a little bit again confused. In fact there is not
>> so much difference between a vendor and a supplier then.
>> I didn't saw neither any interactive functionalities around a vendor
>> on the commerce website. Perhaps there is any interaction in the
>> accounting module ?????
>> Do you know that?
>>
>> Heidi
>>
>> 2011/12/9 Ruth Hoffman<rhoff...@aesolves.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi Heidi:
>>> Another way to look at this:
>>>
>>> 1) The OFBiz data model has a table/entity named "VENDOR" but *NO
>>> *table/entity for a "SUPPLIER". (9.4 and 10.4)
>>>
>>> 2) If you look at how vendor/supplier is used in some of the OFBiz
>>> applications, you might observe that:
>>>
>>> A vendor "supplies" goods or services to the Company of record for the
>>> OFBiz
>>> instance. Those goods or services may be raw materials for manufacturing,
>>> products for resale on the ecommerce site or computers to run your
>>> business.
>>> When a vendor (with a record in the VENDOR table) supplies you with
>>> something, they are acting in a role called a "SUPPLIER".
>>>
>>> So, in the OFBiz world, my interpretation is: A vendor is a supplier. It
>>> is
>>> as simple as that. Anything more is making it too complicated :-)
>>>
>>> Anyone care to comment on my interpretation?

> [...]
>>> Ruth
>>> rhoff...@aesolves.com

--
Olagos bvba