On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Will Rogers <wjrog...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just went through an unpleasant two hours trying to get buildr to install
> on Windows. May I make two suggestions to improve your "Installing on
> Windows" section at http://buildr.apache.org/installing.html ?
>
> 1. Installing the Ruby one-click installer is not enough, you also need the
> devkit so you have a compiler and make. The devkit is a 7zip file available
> on the same page as the one-click installer. You just extract it to your
> Ruby directory and make sure the paths in devkit/msys/1.0.11/etc/fstab are
> accurate.
>
> 2. The version rjb-1.1.9 required by buildr-1.3.5 does not build when your
> JAVA_HOME has spaces in the path. The default install location is in
> "C:/Program Files", which means rjb will not build. rjb-1.2.0 works, so
> please either release an updated buildr gem that works with this fixed
> version of rjb or suggest a work-around of installing the JDK to a
> non-default location with no spaces in the path.

RJB gems intended for windows include the DDL, so there's nothing to build,
just install and use it. RJB 1.1.9 was introduced to fix build issues under
Snow Leopard, but adds nothing new over 1.1.6 for Windows users.

If you see a gem with -x86-mswin32 in that name, that release has relevant
changes that affect all platforms (including Windows).  All other releases
not intended for Windows:

http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=2010

Buildr handles that by publishing three gems for each release: -java for
JRuby (no RJB), -x86-mswin32 for Windows (RJB 1.1.6) and one for all other
platforms (RJB 1.1.9):

http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=3180
http://github.com/apache/buildr/blob/trunk/buildr.gemspec

I'm not sure why you're getting the all-platforms gem with RJB 1.1.9
dependency, but you shouldn't.   Could be one of the gems was in the
switchover from Rubyforge to Gemcutter?

Assaf